Healthy Snack Ideas
Wee Care Montessori Center recommends that parents/guardians try to feed their children healthy snacks whenever possible. Below are a few fun ideas to try:
- “Ants on a log” – celery with peanut butter and raisins (do not use if your child has a nut allergy).
- Fresh or canned fruit (in 100% juice, not syrup) with fat-free or low-fat vanilla yogurt.
- Whole-grain crackers with low-fat cheese.
- Frozen grapes (rinse and freeze grapes overnight).
- Whole-wheat bread or apple slices with peanut butter (do not use if your child has a nut allergy).
- Quesadillas (low-fat cheese on a whole-wheat tortilla).
- Unsalted pretzels or air-popped popcorn.
- Baked tortilla chips and fresh salsa.
- Whole-wheat pita bread with hummus.
- Water or fat-free or low-fat milk.
- Low-fat string cheese sticks.
- “Apple cars”
- “Banana Dolphins”
Start good habits while children are young:
- Eat snacks at the table or in the kitchen, not in front of the television.
- Serve snacks in a bowl. Do not let children eat snack foods directly out of the bag or box.
- Drink water or fat-free or low-fat milk instead of soda or juice.